Companies Excluded from Companies House Register Filings

Clifford McDowell

Due to the nature of their structure, some Companies are Excluded from filing their accounts with Companies House, however, they may need to register with and submit information to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). This includes Companies with the following prefixes:

IP – Industrial & Provident Company
SP – Scottish Industrial/Provident Company:
IC – ICVC (Investment Company with Variable Capital)
SI – Scottish ICVC (Investment Company with Variable Capital)
RS – Registered Society
NP – Northern Ireland Industrial/Provident Company or Credit Union
NV – Northern Ireland ICVC (Investment Company with Variable Capital)

Whilst IP and SP prefixes are still listed in the Companies House register the company category of ‘Industrial & Provident Companies‘ has now been replaced with two new legal forms as per the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014. Societies registering from the 1st August 2014 will need to register using one of the following company categories:

  • co-operative society
  • community benefit society

Information on all the above-prefixed company numbers is held by the Public Records Section at the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Please note that on 6th April 2018, operational responsibility for the registration of Northern Ireland credit unions and Industrial and Provident Societies moved to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

Companies with the following company number prefixes are not obliged to register documents with the FCA or Companies House as they defined as Royal Charters.

RC – Royal Charter Companies (English/Wales)
SR – Scottish Royal Charter Companies
NR – Northern Ireland Royal Charter Companies